CCBC IS GOING DIGITAL FALL OF 2019
Students come first at CCBC and knowing the cost of materials for classes puts a burden on our students CCBC has partnered with Cengage to provide your course materials via a digital book subscription beginning in Fall 2019. Students enrolled in a Cengage Unlimited book subscription program will benefit with electronic access from any device when fall classes start to all, or most, of the required course materials for an affordable price of $179.99 for a whole year! You will also have unlimited access to other course materials in their library. You can access your digital materials anywhere at any time.
E-TEXT (ELECTRONIC TEXTBOOKS)
Community College of Beaver County is proud to announce a new textbook solution for many of our classes! CCBC offers digital solutions for many of its courses. Not only are such solutions more affordable than buying traditional textbooks, but they also offer more interactive, exciting, and engaging educational experiences.
HOW DO STUDENTS ACCESS DIGITAL LEARNING MATERIALS FOR THEIR CLASS?
When students log into their Blackboard course, digital solutions are available and ready to use. Make sure the pop-up blocker is disabled within the browser. Students may also add the software or e-Text to the approved or allowed list within the pop-up blocker application.
WHAT IF STUDENTS NEED ASSISTANCE?
Faculty members have been trained to help with digital solutions (or can put students in touch with customer support through the publisher). CCBC Help Desk can also provide assistance.
DO CERTAIN INTERNET BROWSERS WORK BETTER?
Yes! CCBC’s digital solutions, and Blackboard, work best in the Google Chrome browser. Mozilla Firefox, or Safari are also compatible; Microsoft Edge presents compatibility issues for Blackboard in general so it is not recommended.
HOW DO I PAY?
CCBC has made the process simple. When you register for classes, you will notice a "Digital Text & Materials" fee. A one time charge per academic year of 179.99 is added to your bill. Once your tuition and fees are paid, you will have access to all of the Cengage supported materials.
Get more inforamtion on how to use the platform here Cengage.com/coursepages/CCBC_Cengage
WHAT BENEFITS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH DIGITAL SOLUTIONS?
Through this initiative, students have access to course materials on day one; no more sold-out bookstores! Students also notice lower costs, additional (and usually free) resources, no access codes, Fee is paid for materials at the time of registration (shows up as a “digital books and materials fee on bills and receipts).
OTHER HELPFUL INFORMATION
- Publisher content usually launches in a new window; therefore, all pop-up blockers need to be disabled or set to allow publisher content to launch properly or the pop-up blocker must be completely disabled.
- Digital solutions at CCBC are platform independent, meaning they are accessible on phones, tablets, iPads, laptops, etc.
- e-Texts, including videos, quizzes, charts, and presentations, offer multiple modes of instruction for all learners.
- Provided content is ADA compliant and will adjust to students’ needs.
- Finally, students are encouraged to go to class (or to reach out to their instructors by email) before purchasing any additional materials. Students who also prefer a paper copy of the textbook are able to rent one for $7.99 from Cengage. Note that it may take up to 2 weeks for delivery of the textbook.